I finally got to see my new classroom, and to be completely honest, I was less than pleased.
No windows. A very unattractive shade of yellow which also happens to be the same shade as Purdue University (rival college). Compared to my previous classroom, where I had clean and sterile tile, a beautiful view of our green field, and a sink, this room felt like a claustrophobic ugly step child. It was a let down. At first.
I went home and instantly reached out to my teacher community on Instagram.
Through them and the miracle that is Pinterest, I came across several amazing bee-themed classrooms.
Many were pretty primary, but overall I had a theme and a vision. I knew from there that I could easily adapt these decorations to a middle school classroom.
After visiting both Hobby Lobby and Joann Fabrics, I was able to get some beautiful and creative fabric for my bulletin boards, as well as scraps and ribbon to create a wreath for my door.
I also picked up a few other things, including picture frames, scrapbook paper, and some wooden “paintables.”
I bought a styrofoam wreath from Joann’s (these can be found anywhere) and picked up a variety of ribbons. I also scoured the fabric scrap section and found some gray, yellows (with bees!), and black patterns.
I was going for a shabby chic look based off this Pinterest pin.
I cut and ripped the fabric into strips to achieve a shabby look.
Then I cut the ribbons into similar-sized strips and tossed it all together like a salad.
From there I began randomly tying and knotting strips onto the styrofoam.
I kept pushing all the pieces together so they looked super shabby and there wasn’t any styrofoam showing through.
I also found these little paper coasters on sale for $0.96 for six. I picked up six packs along with these medallion wall mounts for 30% off $9.99.
The picture frames
Once I finished the wreath, I used my scrapbooking supplies and trimmed down the colored paper to be 4×6 and 5×7 sized. I then put them into the picture frames that I had bought from Joann’s. The paper was 10 pieces for $2 and the frames were 50% off each!
The picture frames hang out on top of my filing cabinet. You can see that I attempted to print onto one of the yellow papers, but ran out of ink. Luckily this ended up looking okay as the paper and faded ink give the print a vintage/aged look. Look for a tutorial on this Queen Bee printed creation later!
Lastly, I wanted to include my last name, which begins with a B, into the mix. I found a wooden B and used gold spray paint. I found little wooden bee-themed accessories at Hobby Lobby and a crown at Joann’s.
I wasn’t crazy about the hive or the crown’s color. So I adjusted accordingly using some acrylic paint and little gemstones!
Lastly, I the leftover fabric scraps from the wreath to make a fabric garland. I found the inspiration in this picture on Pinterest.
Mine is below.
Target, as well, had these black and white bunting banners for $4.99 each. I picked up two to accent my white board.
Stay tuned for some more detailed classroom decor as I put the finishing touches on the bulletin boards and add in the science curriculum!